Sunday, July 16, 2006

A Healthy Dose of Sentimentality

Visiting these forlorn and stagnant pages of my blog has been a difficult exercise lately. My sincerest apologies to my loyal readership, for whom logging into these pages is probably just as difficult.

I hate to come across as a poser--although this will most definitely make me one--but the impetus for committing anything on this blog really only presents itself in one of my contemplative moments, when vague notions and half-formed jokes begin to take a more concrete forms; these "moments", among others, include:

a) me taking a long contemplative walk late at night, staring vacantly at the streetscape while looking pretty;

b) me taking my breakfast at an empty diner early in the morning, staring vacantly out of the window while looking pretty;

c) me taking the streetcar, staring vacantly out of the streetcar window while looking pretty.

And the sad thing about my summer so far is that there haven't been enough of these moments that lend themselves to poetry; hence the sparse update.

Well, at least you can't accuse me of not living introspectively.

---

So the long and short of my life's story at this moment is that I'm working an un-inspring job (although the title elicits a few "wows" before they find out my exact job description), taking an art class, and just getting generally comfortable with my routines. Terribly unexciting, and a far cry from my grandiose plans at the beginning of the summer.

I did get to indulge in my cinephilia, and actually meet some pretty splendid people. Soloman deserves a special mention if only for the truly bizzarre story of how we met and the hilarity that ensued.

And I threw a dinner party last night on a whim: curry, creamy leek and potato stew, and various grilled goodies, washed down with cheap wine; a small but happy and lively gathering.

I suspect this is what life would be like in ten years' time: routines after routines, and the occasional (literal and figurative) dinner parties; truth be told, I don't exactly mind it. (ha, yesterday I just gave a speech on how I hate people who lead white-bread, unintrospective lives, but under the influence of alcohol of course) There is a satisfying sense of down-to-earth everyday-ness to it, and frankly, what beats having good friends to take care of and be generous to?

Wow, that was totally a Life Network moment.

1 comment:

doomed to be fabulous said...

c) me taking the streetcar, staring vacantly out of the streetcar window while looking pretty.

I've seen you staring out windows, and it ain't that pretty.

Just kidding, you know I love ya. Thanks for dinner.