Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Here is Food for You, My Starving Child

Isn't it sad when the only consolation in life is that you weren't born in Africa?

So I was with a friend last night at the Green Room, downing a pitcher and eating a rather suspect chicken sandwich, and the general sluttiness and festiveness of Halloween sort of got to me--in a bad way. You know those few times when you are walking on a street full of happy people with the piercing realization that you are still as alone as ever? I went back home, took one look at my planner (which was incidentally full until the end of next week), and went on to bawl on my bed.

Yeah, I just admitted to crying to the entire cyberspace. It was that bad.

The end result of that rather cathartic experience was that I finally had to square it to myself that the past two years of living hell in engineering science might have been just one colossal waste of time. I need meaning; I need vindication; and I'm seriously going to consider getting out of this. I peg my chances of being in the Faculty of Arts and Science by January at better than 50-50.

I feel an ever greater kinship to Woody Allen and his whole persona of the cereberal frustrated manhood trapped in an existential crisis, which is why I went back to seeing Stardust Memories and decided it was one of his best movies. Of course his dilemma was way more delicious: he had to choose between Marie-Christine Barrault and Charlotte Rampling, but I hope the analogy is not completely lost.

On the same subject, I hope you all come out for Woody Allen's Manhattan on Thursday night. You may dismiss it as an example of flimsy psedo-intellectualism, but the cinematography is amazing, and the opening sequence of Manhattan scenery--I don't know how to put it better--is almost religious.

I once tried to picture how a Toronto-born auteur might shoot the same sequence, but quickly came to the conclusion why it wouldn't work. The whole sequence would be over in just 15 seconds--financial district, Queen St., Kengsinton Market (incidentally similar to Queen St.), Chinatown (messy), City Hall (ugly), the Annex (incidentally similar to Main Street, USA). What, are you gonna put a mall in there too?

Plus Toronto people are just uglier, no offence.

1 comment:

doomed to be fabulous said...

Sorry I can't be there, I'll be tanning myself in Aix-en-Provence. >:)

If it's any consolation, I'm feeling devestatingly lonely too. What's Barcelona without someone to share it with?