Saturday, March 25, 2006

It's All Uphill From Here

Poster for my design project: it's worse than it looks

Design demonstration was on Wednesday and no parts of my machine worked. The humiliation was however brief (thankfully). The elaborate ritualistic burning of the machine that I had for so long planned never happened either--I thought I could for once do without all the negativity and strive for a small measure of fineness. So I went to New Ho King and doted on a plate of beef & brocolli instead.

Thursday was eventless; I skipped classes and made a creamy leek and potato stew and had people over. Good times.

More good times on Friday: went to Kensington Market with Aliza and met up with newly-hitched Sam. It was gray and windy, altogether a terrific day for coffeeshop-lounging and conversations galore--movie snobbery, new apartments, enticing prospect of drinking forties on a Annex patio--all of this over expensive coffee, which I drank not entirely without guilt. Kensington Market is gentrifying, and we've got blood on our hands.

Today was one of those days when you thought you'd been working hard but got little done. A supposed study session at Future's degenerated into people watching; saw the Failed Artist, Sandra Oh's mom (no not really), and an awkward blind date where a golddigger worked a professor; discussed the role of dogs and babies as the facilitators of social interactions between otherwise lonely but staunchly aloof urbanites.

There is this web service called China Bridal that hooks up rural Japanese men with women from China's northeastern rustbelt; and there is this advertisement I saw in the Spectator (the voice of elitist conservative Britain) that markets "elegant Japanese ladies" to successful British men. Here is the real problem: that the world is full of lonely people all over, including all of us, to a certain extent.

And that includes my rowdy neighbours and their group of obnoxious parties animals. You sad bastards, I sit quietly cursing.
p.s. I need a blog name that's actually not lame. I'm open to suggestions.

No comments: